Sunday, August 11, 2013

Failing Farmers

Precursor - every post with this title will be about our new life on the farm. 

Sadly our crops are already failing. I'd like to claim its not our fault but I think in all honesty Id have to say it is about 20% our fault. For example when we went away to Seattle, instead of setting the sprinklers to go off at 6 am    - we set it to go off for 6 hours. Kn our defence the trees were small and weak before then and had/have the wrong irrigation system before we started. Just the same I am convinced if I look at one long enough it will die! I have grown to love the peach trees ( I can take or leave the apple and hate the cherry trees) and get very emotional when another one bites the dust. Our lawn mower has been on the fritz since we moved in and we have yet to drive it once, or see it for more than an hour - as John Deere is still ordering parts for it. We have their loaner in theinterim  which is fine but I had to go to my favourite power tool store today (everyone knows me there now as I am (sure that i am) the only female customer with four kids buying power-like tools and asking a million questions - primarily "how do you turn it on" and "will it cut fingers?" ).  Leo and I decided to look at the new lawn mowers while we were there. 

These are "zero turn" ( that's a good thing) lawn mowers. Leo liked it best. 
I must say that Becoming "farmers" has totally changed our list of Christmas gifts we will ask for this year. For example, instead of ski bindings, soaps and clothes I now want 20 cedar seedlings, 1 zero turn lawn mowers, a chain saw, a gas can and 12 jars of round-up (no 5.) weed killer !!! :) 

This is a ride on lawn mower - it is what we have already only ..... It works!!!!' 

1 comment:

  1. Ant and I laughed out loud with the power tools store! Wow, love it. Leo looks like a natural on that mower; how do the kids take to being farmers?

    ReplyDelete