We are home from Hawaii and very quickly my mind has switched gears. With Claire I started a trial homeschooling period from March -June, the year before we officially launched. It is a time where I get to assess what the kids skill levels are and if home schooling is the way to go with them or not. Tomorrow marks the first day of Max's trial. Max is a bright guy so, so as I sit her thinking and planning for tomorrow I am actually nervous. Bringing him home in Sept. will be interesting for several other reasons: He's already above the Kindergarten level, Teaching two kids at once for the first time, Having Kai continue at pre-school when he wants to stay home with Max and lastly... LEO. Leo is an on-going threat to my classroom. He circles it with a Fin on his head, while the Jaws movie music plays in the background. I can read his mind every time he looks in the classroom windows at all the stuff... "so many pieces, so little time". He has one thing on his mind whenever his little feet chance to pitter-patter through the glass doors ... DESTRUCTION. Oh well! None of that happens until September, so no time to worry about that now. From March to June, Max will focus only on Math, Reading and Writing for about 1h in the afternoons, post pre-school and lunch, in between one of our many activities: Soccer, Theater, French, Piano, Tennis, Swimming, Gymnastics, Skiing and Music. I know that seems like a lot of stuff... but I really love our home school life and want to make the most of the time I have with the kids. I want them to experience everything they can and always look back on this time with great memories. A parent only gets so much time to influence their kids not everyone has the option of homeschooling so I really see it as a blessing and my MOST important job.
...stay tuned for pictures of Hawaii to follow in the coming days.

Hope Max's trial goes super well. It is a good possibility that he and Claire can work on some of the same things together. Most of all, have FUN!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are right... it is a privilege to homeschool our children, to have the chance to spend all of this time working with and enjoying them!